An invitation to return to a simpler time of earth-based spirituality and ritual living, through writings from a small forest-farm in the Appalachian Highlands.
This book looks at the agricultural year as a starting space for a deepening of earth-centered spirituality. It gives a set of backstories to ease the reader into a time between the pre-industrial era and the modern one, into a place where the fast-moving stress of American life can be affected by a better connection not only to the natural world but to the elegant expression of the year as expressed through seasonal festivals and celebrations.
The chapters are broken into four seasons, with the quarter days a highlight within each, and feature simple skills that accompany each marker in the year. Author H. Byron Ballard offers advice on spiritual and physical immersion into the seasons that applies to readers from all areas: rural, urban, and suburban.
This is also a deeply practical book, including insights into the following:
- Farming & gardening: composting, manure, soil preparation, pests, seed-saving
- Food: cooking, preserving, foraging, the summer kitchen, mushrooms and mycelium
- Fiber arts: knitting, crocheting, spinning, weaving, decorative cut-work, and embroidery
- Sewing: treadle machines, electric machines, hand sewing
- Household crafts: candle-making, soap-making, broom-making, sharpening tools
- Health: medicines, tending the dying, death and death rituals
A glossary is included for any unfamiliar terms.
Books From Witches For Witches
All of our books are carefully curated by witches for witches because they enhance or are enhanced by the practices of witches. We know that witches need excellent references across a broad body of topics. That's why our genres aren't just limited to books on magic, but also include books mainstream books on topics that interest witches the most....and some that are just more fun to read when you practice some form of witchery.
Here you'll find more than magical books like Wiccapedia and the Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells. You'll also find amazing references like the Encyclopedia of Garden Plants for Every Location or The Body Keeps the Score. We even carry fantastically witchy fiction like The Familiars and The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One.
We know that Witches Love Books, and our bookstore Loves Witches.
When you buy from us you are:
- Shopping Small: Our business just started in May and is owned & operated by just the two of us
- Supporting a Woman & Minority Owned Business
- Helping fellow witches
- Getting a great product to help further your practice!